10.04.2008

A Real update!

I finally have an actual update to post! My clinic called me yesterday and it seems we have run into a little snag. Because I am a completely honest person I felt it was necessary to disclose the hearing loss many members of my family suffer from. But, I also felt it was necessary to disclose the study I participated in when I was younger to determine the cause if the hearing loss and the fact that I am not a carrier of the gene.

Well, turns out the genetic counselor wants to see the study results. There is one small problem though. The study, which occurred 17 years ago, was a blind study. There is nothing to link me to the test results. I think my dad may have the published article. Hopefully that will provide enough information for the clinic to get what they need. I am hoping the article identifies a specific gene which can be looked for on the genetic screen.

I'm not sure what will happen if I am not able to get the results. I tried to google it but I don't know the name of the clinic that did the research or what the study was called. I was 11 years old for goodness sake. All I knew at the time was I was going to give blood and take a hearing exam. The only reason I remember it is because it the first time I gave blood and I was really nervous. I am going to e-mail my dad and see what information he has. He is coming into town on Wednesday and I want him to bring everything he has with him.

I really hope this doesn't inhibit my ability to donate. Of course, I would completely understand. If I wasn't on the receiving end, I wouldn't want eggs from a woman who has an extreme family history of hearing loss. By extreme I mean my dad, brother, grandmother, 2 aunts, 1 uncle, and 4 out of 7 cousins. My brother has had hearing aids in both ears since he was in kindergarten. My dad can hardly hear without his hearing aids. There hasn't been and language impairment but without the hearing aids they have a hard time.

On the up side, if I am able to get the information they need, they want me to come into the office to meet with the nurses and talk more about the program. I am excited and nervous. Excited because things are really getting underway and nervous because I am not sure how I will react to the meds. Only time will tell I guess.

No comments: