9.22.2008

It's those books again!

When that college kid knocked on our door pedalling books in June I was sure we would never use what he was selling. Raoul said he would read the books to the kids and I agreed to buy a set. We paid $10 per book and got 14 books, you do the math. The kids do read them and Raoul does cuddle in bed with them and a book. I have even cracked a few. As you may or may not know from previous posts, I have learned about carpet munchers, ox peckers, and blue footed boobie birds from these books.

Tweedle P's favorite book is called "Who Lives Castles?". On Saturday I was being a slacker mom and doing a little blog catch up. P was hanging out on the couch when she looked up and said, "Mommy, do you know about the black death?" Imagine my surprise when I heard my 6 year old discussing the black death with me. And she actually knew about it. She could tell me it was spread by fleas from rats, it was also called the plague, and thousands died in Europe. So, I asked her what else the book taught her and she started discussing the great fire of 1666 and an earthquake in Portugal.

I would love to say I can't believe how much she picks up but I can't because she has surprised me like this before. What I can't believe is how morbid our conversations have been since the discovery of the black death. I have had a bit of a cough this week and P told C to run from Mommy because she has the plague and is going to die. She knew I didn't have the plague but she was totally screwing with C. She will do anything to make him cry. I am so proud of her!

So, I reluctantly admit these books are totally worth their price. The kids read them everyday and pick up all kinds of interesting tit bits from them. They even came with 2 of those wonderful sticker books. You know, the books where the stickers can be stuck, picked up, and re stuck over and over again. They love them. Raoul was right (shhhhh! Don't tell him!). The books are great.

No comments: